Thursday, February 25, 2010

Mussels in Brussels!



First of all- I need to tell you that Anthony Fassio is a saint. James Pierce wherever you are...I'm going to tell you something that you already know- your husband is very very patient and absolutely fabulous!

Getting to Brussels wasn't easy- first the passport, then I get to Gare du Nord and didn't realize that there had been a terrible train crash in Belgium earlier in the week. Lesson learned- watch more CNN and less Olympics. Trains were packed and instead of leaving every hour for Brussels, it was more like every other hour. So I get there, talk to the train people and see that I have to wait 2 hours for the train. I read every English magazine in all of the Relays in the train station. I get ready to get on the train and there's a HUGE line. I wait in line, show the woman my Eurail and she tells me I need to buy a ticket. So I get in another line and wait and this man tells me that there is no more room on the train and I won't be able to go. I finally asked a woman in a conductor hat (in French) about my ticket. So she looks at my ticket and let's me through. Meanwhile- people are screaming and yelling, shoving and pushing and I'm so thankful to be allowed to pass.

I get on the train, but there are no seats- so I sit next to the door on a pull down chair. It took us over 2 hours to get there (it should have been an hour and a half), but when I arrive, there's a smiling Anthony on my track waiting for me! We walk quickly to our hotel and I get settled in my room and we go for dinner. The Grand Place in Brussels is gorgeous. It looks to me like it was created out of dribble sand castles. Luckily the extra time on the train had given me time to read about this city more so I had some ideas for dinner. We went to this place called Le Roy Espagne and had traditional Belgian Stoemp- which is mashed potatoes mixed with vegetables and ours came with sausage too- I mean what could be better? A Stella Artois could make it better, and it did. We enjoyed our meal and left on foot to explore. We walked around- it was a gorgeous night and we had so much fun. After we walked a bit we stopped for a chocolate crepe (we WERE in Belgium!) and a coffee. We sat outside in this Gallery watching people and of course, doing a little laughing. After walking back to the hotel- I barely remember hitting the pillow...I was OUT.

8:30 came pretty early this morning but we had a great breakfast and started walking. We walked to Palais Royale, the Parliament, the US Embassy (we just walked by- but they wouldn't let Anthony take a picture...it was so strange). We walked by these great gardens and saw the former Botanical Garden which is now a music venue (Passion Pit is playing there March 1- the lead singer went to Nichols!!!!!) and went to this giant Cathedral Saint-Marie which was really awesome. I have tons of pictures to load, and promise I will put them up tomorrow :). I have a cold, and wasn't feeling good- and I wasn't being the most gracious patient (insert very obvious comment here). Anthony was such a trooper- I didn't feel well, I didn't look well and I was trying to be a good travel buddy...but I don't think I was. Anthony- I"M SORRY!!!! Not only did I make you ride there alone, but then I was not feeling well :(

We went and had lunch on this cute street and I had moules OF COURSE- mussels in Brussels and we hit the road back to Paris. We got on the train- and again it was overcrowded so there was a brawl in our car for some seats- but alls well that ends well...we made it! It was great- I can't wait to explore more of Europe!

I'm off to bed- I have 8:30 demo and then 12:30 practical tomorrow, it feels like a Sunday to me!

A Bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment