Saturday, February 27, 2010

Beef Strogonoff, Exams and Flashcards

Yesterday really felt like a Monday- after having 2 days off, we were all so confused as to which day it was. When we got to demo at 8:30 we were all a little groggy- we were learning Beef Strogonoff which is a very popular exam dish. I was careful to pay very close attention. Chef Lesourd focused on that dish first as a girl in our class' mother was having surgery that day- so she had to leave early. That was a blessing in disguise because Chef Lesourd tends to take his sweet time during demo. He usually loses me 1/2 way through the third recipe.

We went right up to practical and I was pretty nervous. Chef Caals came in, and I got even more nervous. He rattles me and makes me feel very unsure. True to form, my beef wouldn't brown, so I had to use Lara's burner and I was super far behind. I managed to catch up and was one of the first 5 to plate- but not before my recipe and all my notes slipped down behind the oven never to be seen again. That made thing challenging because I didn't know whether to sautée my veggies in butter or oil among other questions.

My rice pilaf with brunoised vegetables looked pretty darn good and I knew that my sauce was perfect, but I knew I had overcooked my meat a little. Chef Caals said that my rice could have stayed in the oven for 1 more minute (really? 1 minute would have made the difference?) and that my sauce was perfect, but my meat was WAY overcooked. I was so mad at myself for overcooking my meat...that is NOT something I ever do- and I was so frustrated!

I left sweating like I had just played a lacrosse game and Lauren and I walked home in the sunshine. We both showered at our respective houses and she came over later to study- we have our written exam on Thursday and were given the 10 possible practical final dishes.

Our written test is 10% of our grade. We have to memorize 6 recipes and fill in blanks that they make in the recipes. We also need to know all of the terms in the back of our binders so we can do matching, multiple choice and true/false. Lauren and I made a GIANT stack of flashcards each- now comes the memorizing part...SHOOT!

Our practical final is scary and is worth 45% of our grade. We were given a list of 10 dishes that we might have to make. On exam day we pick a token and a number and they give us a dish that corresponds with the token so not everyone in the room has the same dish. We are allowed NO notes in the room, JUST the recipe list. We have 2.5 hours to complete that and a technical skill. We plate 4 portions and then a jury of outside Chefs come in and grade us. The possible dishes are:

Poached Chicken, sauce supreme, and riz au gras- that was my first practical with Caals, it went poorly

Roast Chicken with Jus- I had Phillipe for that one and did really well

Brill Fillets in white wine sauce- I did very well on that one too, though my sauce needed more butter

Traditional Veal Stew- I did very well on that one- I'm pretty sure I had Terrien

Sauteed Veal Chop- Stril, one of my best dishes

Roast Duckling with turnips- Lesourd- also did well, though my jus was too greasy.

Beef Strogonoff

Chicken sauté with tarragon, Italian style vegetables- haven't done that one yet

Hot Fish Terrine with beurre blanc- GROSS! Haven't done that either

Daurade with fennel- haven't gotten to that one either

Our technical skill by the grace of God is turning, cooking and plating 2 artichokes. I'm good at artichokes so I need to practice some more, but I think I should be ok at that one. If it had been mushrooms, I would have been in trouble. I'm going to practice all the dishes at least once and time myself before the test- I'm so scared foe it!

Off to continue memorizing my flashcards...what a FUN Saturday activity!

A Bientot!

2 comments:

  1. Hi Carolyn! Anthony Fassio and I have spoken on the phone a few weeks ago. I'm coming to LCB Paris for the Jan 2011 Grand Diplome class. My husband and I live in Germany (I'm from Antwerp, Belgium and Tom's from Chicago, Illinois).

    I added you to my blogroll at http://www.chefgaby.com/ We're looking forward to meeting Anthony! He's such a nice guy. Hopefully we can meet you too when we come to Paris. It's only four hours away!

    A bientot

    Gaby Nunamaker

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gaby, I don't mean to be a killjoy but you would be much better going to London or Ottowa right now! I'm just finishing superior cuisine and I don't think you will find a single person who doesn't feel cheated. The demos are overcrowded the chefs are bored and it's totally not good! Think very carefully before you give then your €'40 000 you will regret it

    ReplyDelete