Tuesday, February 23, 2010

The greatest game, a slingbox, and some duck


After Mom, Dad and Lauren left- I was sad. To be fair- I was really sad and crying. I was happy to get out and do a little cooking and socializing. A bunch of us had a fun dinner complete with a hilarious game of Cluedo (British Clue) and decided to go watch the USA vs. Canada hockey game at a Canadian bar. I'm so glad I went, what a GAME! I only wish Dad and Lauren were there to watch with me- as we LOVE the movie Miracle and it was just that! Ryan Miller was unreal.

A very late end to the game meant that yesterday was resting, laundry and getting ready for the week. My brother EJ sent me the information on his slingbox- which is a device that plugs into a TV at his house in Buffalo and I can watch it anywhere in the world on my laptop. US TV!!!!!!!!! I was so happy to hear English, see CSI Miami and of course, see US coverage of the Olympics. I'm VERY sick of curling so I was thrilled with some ski jumping and skating.

This morning we had the duck practical- nothing says 'good morning' like yanking out duck guts! I was working on my duck (removing neck etc) and I realized that my hands were covered in blood- I said out loud "boy my duck sure is bloody!" and then I noticed that it was my hand that was bleeding! I cut myself and had NO idea. It's fine, but in the WORST spot. It's on my right hand just at the base of my pointer finger...aka exactly where I hold my knife. I went and had it bandaged and continued my work. Roasted duck with glazed baby onions (yawn) and turned and glazed turnips and of course a jus. Everything was tres bien- Chef Lesourd said my meat was cooked well, my onions and turnips were perfect and my jus tasted good, but was a bit too greasy. All in all I was happy!

After school Bruna and I went to W.H. Smith- an English bookstore in Place de Concorde. I didn't realize how long I'd been looking at travel books but Bruna said..."we have to get out of here!" A quick lunch at Angelina and here I am- researching Geneva for Anthony and I to hopefully go tomorrow- I'm excited to see another country!

A bientot!

PS. That photo is from class today- for some reason when I went to make my paper lid to glaze my onions...4 came out! I'm usually lucky to get one to turn out- so strange!

2 comments:

  1. The question we all want to know is: after one bleeds all over their duck, do they eat the duck?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't bleed all over the duck...just my own hands and the cutting board- but I had to make sure all was clean before continuing to cook :)

    ReplyDelete