Tuesday, January 5, 2010

Recent Findings/Orientation Day

Well I just got back from my Orientation day at school. It was so exciting and I think I made 3 friends!!! I slept about 4 minutes last night (combination of jet lag and first day jitters). I set 3 alarms and was up and in the shower by 7:30. I had some special K and tea and was out the door by 8:30. Because my stupid luggage hasn't arrived yet (don't go there) I had to buy another lock before I went to school. I arrived around 9:10 and was given my ID badge and shown into the demonstration room.

Here is a picture of the outside of school:


The room itself was very ordinary but had croissants, jus d'orange, tea and cafe for us. We then met the head of the school who was a woman that looked mean but was very nice. Our translator had the most obscure accent, it was a mixture between British and Australian- hey, at least we have one. We introduced ourselves, and I wrote down the different countries where people were from:

Israel
Japan
Thailand
Brazil
Columbia
Taiwan
China
Italy
Canada
USA
Greece
United Arab Emirates
UK
France

WHOA! Talk about a melting pot of people. Most people spoke a little English and I forsee language being an issue for several. There are others who speak 5 languages and I found myself feeling jealous. I definitely can understand much of the French which is going to be helpful, but speaking is another issue. We got our uniforms, knives, scale, tupperware next and had to try it on in the locker room. My pants COULD NOT be any longer- I'm going to have to have them hemmed. The locker room is absolutely tiny, so I became very close to those that I met...

Then we had a tour of the school. It's very very very small and for being such a renowned place, the equipment seemed antiquated. I had to remind myself that it's not about the equipment, but the technique I will be learning. Pictures on the wall of all the famous alumni are so much fun to look at! (Lots of Julia Child) The prep kitchens are scary and I saw the biggest vat of bubbling veal stock just boiling away when we got a tour of that. We also met some of the chefs who were having lunch in the sous sol (basement). After the tour they took us back to the Winter Garden (not a garden at all, but a frigid cafeteria looking room) where we had some bread, brie, fruits and wine and went home!

While carrying all my stuff home and sweating profusely I managed to get my monthly metro card. The woman helping me spoke no English so I tested out my French. It worked and I have the card...PHEW! one more thing to cross off the list.

Here are a few things I've learned in my 2 days here (in no particular order):

1. The metro couldn't be easier. Everything is so self explanatory and easy- I've been in almost all of the neighborhoods!

2. Crying gets you absolutely nowhere in this country. I've spoken to Air France close to 50 times and each time there are at least a few tears...and my bags still aren't here. Maybe I will yell this time...

3. Paris is so gorgeous it's not even funny.

4. I will never, in my life live in a nicer house than I'm living in right now. I certainly don't deserve a place so incredible, but it's so nice to feel like I have a home.

5. The same annoying music plays in the Gap here too. (I bought a sweater, jeans, underwear and an undershirt)

6. It is no longer legal to smoke inside...making the few clothes that I have smell much better.

7. I miss my blanky

8. Most of the time when I attempt to speak French, people respond in English. Come on people, at least I'm trying!

9. One way to break in kitchen shoes is to wear them everywhere you go (my only pair) my feet hurt and my legs are sore

10. The toothpaste here tastes funny, I can't wait to get my Colgate

I'm going to take pictures of my equipment and go get my pants hemmed and head to the US Embassy to check in with them just in case. I will put pictures up of my first day of school outfit!

A Bientot!

3 comments:

  1. LOVE IT ALL! Thanks for keeping such a wonderful blog. It feels like you still live down the street. Stout misses you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you posted the link on FB... I am all caught up on your happenings and looking forward to living vicariously through your adventures! Keep your chin up, bags will arrive soon!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Carolyn - so exciting to read about your adventures in Paris! Keep posting! -Molly Clauss

    ReplyDelete