Friday, January 29, 2010

Bon Travaille

After finally getting over my bout with illness, I went to demo on Wednesday to watch Chef Stril make stuffed veal paupiettes with a jus and 'turned' vegetables. Nothing gets an appetite back like watching veal, pork shoulder and pork fat go through a mincer!

It looked simple enough, no real surprises until it came time to turn the carrots. Turning is a process by which you essentially whittle a vegetable so it's the same size all the way around. For example a carrot goes from looking like a carrot to a bullet (with a perfectly round bottom). They look like baby carrots but more uniform and peeled- and we had to do 6-8 of these to accompany our stuffed veal. We then glazed them along with peeled baby onions and a jus.

8:30am came very early yesterday and I was feeling pretty good. It was my first day back in the kitchen in a week and I was excited to be back in there. Chef Stril walked into our room and a big sigh of relief came over group B. Then he walked out. Cotte walked in. I said aloud 'today's the day I will get over my fear of him'. I just put my nose down and worked. Quickly and efficiently making the stuffing, tenderizing the veal and wrapping them together with pork back fat (gross) and using string to tie them into parcels. Chef came by and said "Bon Travaille" or good work- things were looking up!

Once they were put together (I was ahead of the curve on this one) we had to dust them in flower, brown both sides and while they were browning, prepare the braising liquid. Mirepoix carrot, onion, celery and make a bouquet garni, peel, seed and concasse tomatoes and cook. Adding tomato paste for color, armagnac for taste and browning the veggies, it was time to braise the veal. Pouring veal stock 1/2 way up the sides of the veal paupiettes and cutting out a paper lid- they were in the oven for 30 minutes.

Carrots. UGH. It took me a LONG time to get them all turned and the chef had to do one for me so I could see. You need to use the paring knife in one movement to get this shape. I cooked them and the onions, and glazed them (let them caramelize in the butter and get color), strained and reduced my jus and everything was looking good! I cleaned and warmed my plate and was adding butter to make my sauce shine and the Chef came over, looked at my sauce and gave me a high five. PARFAIT! I plated my dish and I have to say, it looked really good! I removed the fatback from the veal and had the Chef taste it. He liked it, though he said I needed to salt my carrots a bit more. All in all, he didn't yell at me- he told me I was working well and loved my sauce. My veal was braised perfectly and I was SO happy.

I cleaned my station and headed to the winter garden to wait for our next class- a conference. This was the second conference we've had and was equally as dumb as the first one where we learned to say "CHAUD" when walking with something hot. We had a fire drill in the beginning which was kind of fun. Seeing a sea of students all in their uniforms walking across the street and the ladies from the front office standing in the street with vests on to stop traffic.

We had demo after conference and we watched Chef Stril make chicken breast stuffed with chicken mousse, turned mushrooms (can't even describe those yet) and yet another cream sauce! We also watched him plate his duck terrine that had been in the fridge since Wednesday...YUCK.

Now I'm off to make the chicken stuffed with chicken...wish me luck!

A bientot!

Cleaned my station and

No comments:

Post a Comment