Monday, March 8, 2010

Written Exam, Chicken with Tarragon, Fish Terrine and Daurade

Apologies for the delay (again) I promise I'm going to get better at this blogging thing. Last week was really exhausting- I didn't realize how much so until it was over and I still can't seem to catch up on sleep.

First- was the written test. I had practical that Thursday at 12:30 before the test at 3:30- we were making chicken with tarragon, Italian style veggies and a sauce. I felt like I had a good handle on the recipe, but again- I had spent so much time studying that I was unsure about pretty much everything. We had Chef Terrien and this new Chef who is visiting. He's perfectly nice, but he's an odd duck. He wants to help out, but seems to annoy more than help. He kept telling me how perfect my chicken was, how amazing my sauce was etc. I mean it was good, but Terrien mentioned that the sauce could have used more tarragon. I was so mad, and flustered before my test I had to go sit by myself and not talk to anyone. Then out of nowhere I just burst into tears! I think I had worked myself up so much that I just lost it. I had to have Anthony do the bain-marie dance so I could get my shit together before the test.

Everyone at school had said that the test was no big deal- but the pastry people said their test was really hard, so I really studied (as you all know). I sat in the front row and all my test anxiety came back at once. It took me 20 minutes flat. That's with having checked every answer and every question. I felt very prepared for it and was very happy. I left and thought I was going to collapse. What a relief! Friday we learned about hot fish terrine- which is repulsive. Spinach wrapped pike perch paste with a salmon stick in the middle- also wrapped in spinach baked in a water bath so it's gelatinous. We made it right after and It was disgusting. We also made a beurre blanc sauce which is made from 250g of butter (!!!!!) that's 2 American sticks in a sauce that goes on a plate with hot fish terrine....GROSS. I had Caals and he loved it- I of course didn't touch a bit of it.

I had a fun weekend- went to the Louvre...saw Mona, she says hello to all my blog followers and had some fun times with friends. Saturday night, Anthony, Lauren and I made homemade gnocchi with tomato sauce, prosciutto, spinach and baked it...AMAZING. Yesterday I made Ina's Italian Wedding Soup- I love that stuff. Today we learned about filleting a round fish (one with 2 fillets instead of 4 like Sole). We were making daurade with stewed fennel, and yet ANOTHER butter sauce with Pastis in it (anise flavored liquor). Chef Lesourd said mine was tres bien and I headed down to try and deal with the US Embassy because....

...I'm staying for intermediate!!!!!!!!!! I didn't want to share until I knew for sure, but I'm staying and I can't wait to continue here. I have to go back to SF and get a visa (ugh) go to MB's wedding (YAY!) and deal with getting spring clothes, subletting my apartment again (by the grace of God, I'm allowed to) and just generally dealing with 'stuff'. It's a major pain in the rear, but I'm so excited about it that I can't let it bother me. It's amazing how well things have worked out for me- I feel so lucky to have had such seamless transitions into life in Paris and also Le Cordon Bleu. I can't imagine what's to come and I just get excited every single day to go to class. The friends I've made here have been so incredible too- as you know they are from all over, but it's so nice to be around people who are so passionate about the same things that I am. It's refreshing to just 'get' it. To order food at a restaurant and have everyone pick it apart and appreciate it like I do. I've never felt like I've belonged somewhere like I do here- I think that's why everything has been so great for me...it was what I was meant to do, so things just fell into place!

I've appreciated all of the comments, questions, words of encouragement that you all have given me over the past 3 months. I've loved every single second here (yes, even those I didn't have blanky...just not as much) and I can't wait to continue my adventures. I hope you all continue this journey along with me until June 4th!

A Bientot!

3 comments:

  1. I am so happy you're staying...how would I have survived without you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. WOW - i'm so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is excellent, Carolyn! Especially since you were so homesick in the beginning! I'm with you all the way, hon!

    ReplyDelete