Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Red Mullet and a Clergue demo!

After such a lovely weekend with Perrin, it was hard to motivate back into school mode. We walked around the Marais, went out to a fabulous dinner one night with my friends and relaxed. It was so nice! It was like we were back in SF, but with Pierre Hermé macaroons! (Spring flavors are out...Jasmine is so far my favorite). Nevertheless, I headed off to school for 8:30 practical. We had the jerky Chef again, but I ended up ok. We had to fillet the fish in a different way than usual. We kept the tail on so we could stuff the fish- which was neat to learn, but a little tricky. I managed to do really well with that. We only plate 1 fish, and instead of wasting time and food (I knew I wasn't going to eat it the minute I smelled it) I decided to only do 1 fish. That left very little room or time for error.

In the end, I did well- all 3.5s and 4.0s which is great, but I was a mess. I'm not sure if it was because I was tired, or because I hadn't really thought THROUGH the recipe enough times, but I felt like I was losing my mind the whole time. Lara and I shared a sauce that was good, but had a bit too much lemon juice. I for once got a 'parfait' on my presentation. My onion royale (essentially an onion flan) had too much egg white in it, making it too firm, but my fish was cooked perfectly, I was very clean, and my presentation was perfect. I was happy...but I need to improve. I've got a new game plan in place that will make sure that I'm on my A game everyday.

After practical- I took off my hairnet and completely forgot that we had class pictures. We took the picture and headed up to the 1st floor demo room for our Chef Clergue demo. I'm not sure I can pinpoint what it is about him that I love. He's an unreal Chef- he moves at lightning pace, is super clean and seems to dance through the demo. He doesn't tell stupid stories, he makes mistakes, recovers from them, and just generally is a happy guy. He made the most amazing dishes- all from his adopted home of Burgundy. Intermediate is all about the regions of France and this lesson was about Burgundy. He made escargots with smoked bacon and brunoise vegetables, a free range chicken (with the feet...you know what that means, achilles removal), with potato pancakes and a a fabulous sauce, and the dessert- gingerbread millefeuille with gingerbread ice cream (all homemade of course) with a pear poached in red wine. I went back for another potato pancake and another spoonful of the ice cream.

I'm so excited to make the chicken dish tomorrow, I think I have a good handle on the recipe and the order in which I should do it in practical, and it's delish! I might just have to bring it home to make!

I'm off to read- I feel as though I haven't sat down to read anything that isn't French cuisine in months, and I am excited to start a new book and read the rest of my Vanity Fair!

A Bientot!

No comments:

Post a Comment