Sunday, March 14, 2010

The end...


...of Basic cuisine leaves me with a very heavy heart. I was finding myself getting misty when I walked to school for our last demo as a basic student. I never thought coming to Paris would have this profound of an impact on me, but it sure has. I'll never be in the same class as many of these people again, and those who are leaving- I'm sure I won't see again. It's crazy to think that these people that have been such a huge part of my life won't be here come the beginning of intermediate.

Ask anyone in my family- one of my favorite things about holiday season is Susie Schoellkopf's annual Christmas party. Sure, I can count on one hand the people that I know- but there is ALWAYS au gratin potatoes. I could eat those things by the chafing dish- so it was very fitting that it was included in our last demo. They are incredibly delicious- but knowing how healthy they aren't makes me think I might not go back for 4ths at Susie's next gathering.

Chef Lesourd went out with a bang- the end of demo brought a flambé baked Alaska and Champagne. I had chills- we were all clapping as we do at every demo, but it just felt different knowing it was the last one...and of course with the Champagne! He made rack of lamb with parsley crust, the potatoes and the baked Alaska (of course with all freshly made sorbet). It was great. Now all we have to do is pass our test! Thursday- Laura and Anthony came over to practice beef strogonoff. Tonight, I'm cooking for my neighbors. Here's the menu:

* Marinated raw salmon (salmon escalopes marinated in shallot, lemon, lime)

* Roast duck with glazed vegetables (which is one of our exam dishes!)

* Green Salad

* Cheese course

* Profiteroles with ice cream and chocolate sauce (and if I'm really ambitious...chantilly cream)

I had planned on making a chocolate mousse- but they called and asked for profiteroles. I've never made them, but we watched Chef make them...so here's hoping they turn out!

I got up at 7:30 this morning and was at the market by 8 to make sure that I would be able to get everything. Today was the first day that I really felt French. It was really fun to see everything and walk up and down the market with my list. Dinner is going to be served around 8:30 or 9:00 and I'm going to time myself with the duck...it all has to be done under 2.5 hours. Profiteroles...I might have to start those babies now.

Off to commence the cooking- I promise to upload pictures of the final product!

1 comment: