Tuesday, August 17, 2010

The End is Near



I often use this blog as a means to express my excitement, my ups, my downs, triumphs and successes…this time I’m using it to express my sincere sadness and anxiety about this experience ending.

I decided to come to Paris on a whim, to do something for ME. Explore something that I truly love and see where it led me for 3 months. As my 8th month is coming to a close- I’ve accomplished more than I could have ever imagined. I never thought that I would even be here at this point, let alone completing my last practical, done my exam trial atelier and be sitting at home on a Friday night weeping about it being over.

Since we’ve gotten the list for the final- we’ve had our LAST student dinner, our trip to Rungis market, our last practical, a birthday in Paris and practiced for our final exam of Superior Cuisine (and Pastry). Our dinner at the Park Hyatt was fabulous. The food was not great, the restaurant- while impressive in resume lacked the luster that all of us expected- but we were all there, in our Sunday best with the Chefs. A very late night with Chefs Terrien, Poupard and Deguinet proved to be one of the most memorable in Paris. The same week, we all woke up at 5am to get on a bus and tour the biggest restaurant distribution market in Paris in these hideous overcoats and hair nets. We saw more meat, dairy, vegetables and flowers than we could have imagined. My 27th birthday will be one that I will never forget- spent with my friends at a picnic under the Eiffel Tower (until it started raining and we went to Bar du Central). I couldn’t have asked for anything better.

Yesterday was our final exam practice. Talk about overwhelming! I finally picked and committed to my menu and soon realized…I’ve never made a jelly in my life, let alone 2 in 4 hours! I finished in 4 hours and 30 minutes flat. While I need to shave 30 minutes off my time, I accomplished what I set out to accomplish and did it well. Chef Poupard was impressed- I was told not to change anything in my menu, just tweak some seasoning and presentation and I’ll be all set. My menu was (is) as follows:

Vegetarian (cold) verrine: Tomato water jelly with tartare of fresh cantaloupe and chiffonade of basil

Plat: Guinea fowl breast roasted on the bone, tortellini stuffed with guinea fowl leg. Red wine and Port poached fig stuffed with foie gras mousse and fig jelly, haricots verts and paimpol bean salad, rocket pesto and a jus

Now comes the refining process; streamlining processes, honing seasoning skills and plating all 4 verrines, and plates hot and in 4 hours. I certainly have my work cut out for me, but when I think about it- how on earth am I at the place that I created and executed that recipe? In my head, I’m still in basic learning how to butcher animals and not ready to create a menu and make it sophisticated enough and taste good enough to pass Superior Cuisine and be an LCB chef?

The next time I walk into a kitchen at Le Cordon Bleu, will be with 3 others and it will be when we have our final exam. My parents will be here for my graduation, my apartment will be being packed up, my friends will be leaving and I don’t know when I’ll see them again. Every person I have met in Paris has given me an amazing gift- whether it be a shoulder to cry on, a person to laugh with, people to solve all the worlds problems with, but most of all- every person that I have met has given me knowledge that I will take with me everyday for the rest of my life. I am so thankful, I’m thankful for (in no particular order)…

The knowledge of the egg business, Mormon religion, operations management, time management, stress management, hairy pate, losing a passport and dealing with it, getting a French visa, driving the drama bus, traveling in foreign countries, communication, Michael Buble, laughter, taking back American music, dealing with 4 women all the time, the beauty of walking, confidence, long distance love and so much more from Anthony Fassio

The knowledge of good old American cars, Tracy Anderson, The tea trade (that might still be developing), The process of turning lemons into lemonade, Pierre Herme Macaroons, Mojitos sans sucre, avec vodka, staying true to myself, confidence, that every family has its neuroses, laughter, unconditional love and so much more from Lauren Zimmer

The knowledge of being in a kitchen, knowing what someone’s thinking with no words, exaggeration, everything about Dubai, The Middle East, the French Language, knife skills, menu planning, gossip, being completely myself, being goofy, Muslim weddings genuine comfort and so much more from Lara Said

The knowledge of the metric system, driving on the other side of the road (and the car), Ireland, Irish people, Irish humor, laughing for 3 straight hours at absolutely nothing, Shakira’s one good song, staying BUSY BUSY BUSY, Being something to see, he should see you, loving love, wanting love, sticking my head in an oven, powerwalks that I can’t keep up with and so much more from Gillian Breen

The knowledge of spirit runs, everything southern, unconditional love, affection, being the captain of team Carolyn, recognizing who ISN”T on team Carolyn, what to say to boys, what NOT to say to boys, the makeup section of Le Bon Marché, ‘If I’m lyin’ I’m dyin’, soul food, constantly striving for fireworks, embracing change and wanting to make them in myself, a real, quality, living hug and so much more from E’Lane Bobo

The knowledge of the Muslim faith, what it means to be Arab, Saudi Arabia, Saudi people, Saudi culture, abayas, the booty drop, being constantly friendly, seeing the good in people, realizing when I’m better than something, knowing life is too short, opening my eyes to what really goes on in the Middle East, being wise beyond my years, the beauty of lipstick (and liner), how everyone looks better in heels and so much more from Noor Kandiel

I have just 12 days left in Paris, and while I know they will be amazing, the pit that remains in my stomach of the end is a constant reminder of what I’m leaving behind, but also…what I’m taking away from 8 Rue Leon Delhomme.

2 comments:

  1. Carolyn, that was the cutest thing ive ever read in my life!
    Thank you so much for all that you have given me;
    all about the americas; buffalo, nyc, SF, LA!
    all the classic carolyn sayings which i will be using for the rest of my life. Therapy sessions in the kitchen, in your apartment, cafes, bars, and cuddly sleepovers. Chain smoking, tips mc tips times, torchon dances, terrorising the chefs in the kitchens, helping me stay calm, being there through all my bitchy assistant and NON assistant moments. Hearing my complaints, complaining with me too. allowing me to spit all over u and taking it like a man with laughter and paying me back with humour!
    ill never forget all our times together, and wont be able to be myself in a kitchen without you, who is going to be there to peel my tomatos? i never learnt how to do that. i love you for you and will be lost in london without my bahraini lover. !!! i miss u alreadyyyy :(

    ReplyDelete